BLOND BE GONE

After 40 days walking the Camino and 90 days in the intense Barcelona sun, my hair absolved itself of all responsibility of the past, forfeiting the old for a lifeless shade of strawberry blonde. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against blonds, I’ve simply never wanted to be one.

When I was a little girl, I didn’t like being a redhead, my mom assured me the red would darken by the time I was 18.

16 and still no sign of the red leaving...

At 17 I had the sinking suspicion things weren’t changing anytime soon…

It would seem my hair, like its owner, had a stubborn streak. Finally at 54, my red roots have decided to transform into their next incarnation. Like most adaptations, one has two choices: embrace or resist. Embracing is an easier choice at this stage for me.

A month into family time, on the beach in Barcelona, I noticed 85% of the new growth on my noggin, was decidedly darker than it had ever been “in my life“. The remaining 15% framing my face, was a mixture of white, grey and strawberry blonde. I felt it best to hire an artist to work with such an advanced spectrum of follicle chaos.

After arriving in Florence, my trusty style guru Donatella, booked an appointment with Fabio Velotti. Who could resist a guy named Fabio running his fingers though your hair? Inappropriate harrisment aside, he IS my favourite Florentine HairJazz performer. I wrote a story about him 2 years ago in a post titled: Splitting Hairs. As an added bonus, he renovated his salon, I can’t resits expert design on walls AND hair.

The New space

The New space, with an opening to the espresso bar, and loft/office above. I love the wall colour and look at that green metal cabinet behind the chair. LOVE it!!

This is from 2 years ago when he worked his magic on my hair. Note the change in the wall behind us and a new loft above makes for a usable office space. Love it!

This is from 2 years ago when he worked his magic on my hair. Note the change in the wall behind us and a new loft above makes for a usable office space. Love it!

Here is the start of my second adventure with Fabio owner of: RasoiHairJazz. His colourist Manualla was exceptional. She massaged the perfectly matched colour, by hand, into my hair, strand by strand. Who does that? It was a sight to behold. She indulged me as I took video and talked into the mirror while filming. Can’t imagine what she was thinking…

You too could be in “the chair” with “the master” Fabio:

A little fun with the Italians and Donatellas cut:

Final Reveal of my new hair… I like, I like:

New and Improved

The new and natural (with help) me. You can’t see how dark the back is. He matched the new colour emerging and left the white-grey-strawbery in the front. I’m too lazy to fight the enivetible while I’m traveling and writing.

Fabio and Manuella

Fabio and Manuella. I don’t know why I’m doing that thing with my leg, it must be the Jazz taking over….

It's not just Blonds who have the fun...

See. It’s not just Blonds who have all the fun. This was  me 2 days after my transformation, at a WineBar with the owners I met 5 years ago..!   You could say I’m having a “wee bit of fun”.

The Jazz collection. I have a sneaking suspicion this is not the entire stash...

The Jazz collection. I have a sneaking suspicion this is not the entire stash…

IMG_0973

I can’t imagine how long it took to make this wall look this old…

Advertisements

About Italian Living

I'm an interior decorator from Canada. I own a design firm. I have three grown daughters who are confidant women living busy lives. I love my family my friends and my life, however, something is missing. December 3rd, my eyes open at 3:33 a.m. It's time to fulfill my lifelong dream of living in Italy..... I rent my house, pack my bags, say a final farewell to all the people I love most in this world and hop on a plane January 13th.... alone. This is my story...
This entry was posted in Gratitude, Hair design, ITALY, Rasoi Hair Jazz and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s